Pacific Educational Press
University of British Columbia
This is a new position. The developmental editor will play a key role in the development of the educational book publishing projects of Pacific Educational Press. This position requires proficiency in high-school level mathematics and science.
Duties and responsibilities will include the following. The developmental editor will:
• be responsible for the editorial development of books (print and interactive digital editions), including developing chapter and book outlines with authors; working with authors to develop content; analyzing the structure of draft material; assessing the level of editorial intervention required; working with authors and other editors on revisions; and fine-tuning material to meet established templates and/or editorial standards; will complete editorial development to the copyediting stage;
• significantly revise or rewrite material to meet established book templates, as needed;
• contribute to the development of book proposals submitted to ministries of education;
• locate subject matter and pedagogical experts and arrange for review of draft materials;
• incorporate comments received from outside content and pedagogical experts into the editorial development process;
• develop and maintain book style guides;
• locate and liaise with peer reviewers of manuscripts;
• do photographic and image research, as needed;
• locate and liaise with suppliers of editorial services, such as copyeditors, proofreaders, indexers;
• review the editorial plans and editorial work of internal and external editors for quality and consistency;
• perform other relevant duties as required.
• position will require occasional travel to editorial meetings.
Applicants for this position must have the following:
• Bachelor's degree required, plus supplementary training in publishing and editing procedures.
• six years' experience editing full-length book manuscripts in a book-publishing environment; experience in textbook development is essential.
• excellent written and oral communications skills and strong organizational skills are basic requirements of this job.
• computer skills: Macintosh platform, familiarity with MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, internet and library research skills, familiarity with image-scanning,
• familiarity with e-book and interactive digital formats would be an asset.
• familiarity with high-school level mathematics and science is essential and should be indicated in the cover letter.
Application deadline: January 24, 2011
Start date: February 7, 2011
For further information, please contact Nadine Pedersen via e-mail only (no telephone calls, please), [email protected]
Canadian publishers endorse Truth and Reconciliation Commission's Calls to Action.