Pacific Educational Press
University of British Columbia
This is a new position. The developmental editor will play a key role in the development of the educational book publishing projects of Pacific Educational Press. This position requires proficiency in high-school level mathematics and science.
Duties and responsibilities will include the following. The developmental editor will:
• be responsible for the editorial development of books (print and interactive digital editions), including developing chapter and book outlines with authors; working with authors to develop content; analyzing the structure of draft material; assessing the level of editorial intervention required; working with authors and other editors on revisions; and fine-tuning material to meet established templates and/or editorial standards; will complete editorial development to the copyediting stage;
• significantly revise or rewrite material to meet established book templates, as needed;
• contribute to the development of book proposals submitted to ministries of education;
• locate subject matter and pedagogical experts and arrange for review of draft materials;
• incorporate comments received from outside content and pedagogical experts into the editorial development process;
• develop and maintain book style guides;
• locate and liaise with peer reviewers of manuscripts;
• do photographic and image research, as needed;
• locate and liaise with suppliers of editorial services, such as copyeditors, proofreaders, indexers;
• review the editorial plans and editorial work of internal and external editors for quality and consistency;
• perform other relevant duties as required.
• position will require occasional travel to editorial meetings.
Applicants for this position must have the following:
• Bachelor's degree required, plus supplementary training in publishing and editing procedures.
• six years' experience editing full-length book manuscripts in a book-publishing environment; experience in textbook development is essential.
• excellent written and oral communications skills and strong organizational skills are basic requirements of this job.
• computer skills: Macintosh platform, familiarity with MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, internet and library research skills, familiarity with image-scanning,
• familiarity with e-book and interactive digital formats would be an asset.
• familiarity with high-school level mathematics and science is essential and should be indicated in the cover letter.
Application deadline: January 24, 2011
Start date: February 7, 2011
For further information, please contact Nadine Pedersen via e-mail only (no telephone calls, please), [email protected]
The Association of Canadian Publishers (ACP) is pleased to announce that Kirk Howard, founder and president of Dundurn Press, will be presented with the President’s Award at the association’s 2017 Annual General Meeting. ACP is also delighted to present Michael Harrison with honorary lifetime membership in the association.